Ph.D., University of Pittsburgh
Research Areas: Clinical Psychology. I study how emotions are expressed through verbal and nonverbal behavior, as well as how interpersonal communication is infuluenced by individual differences (e.g., personality and mental health) and social factors (e.g., culture and context). This work is deeply interdisciplinary and draws insights and tools from various areas of social science, computer science, statistics, and medicine. Current research projects focus on identifying patterns of expressive behavior related to depression, PTSD, and psychosis.
**Accepting graduate student(s) for Fall 2021 admission**
- Statistics and Machine Learning
- Data Science and Programming
- Research Methods and Practices
- Psychological and Clinical Assessment
- Personality and Psychopathology
- Nonverbal Behavior
- Affective Computing
- Technology in Psychology
- Girard, J.M., Shandar, G., Liu, Z., Cohn, J.F., Yin, L., & Morency, L.P. (2019). Reconsidering the Duchenne smile: Indicator of positive emotion or artifact of smile intensity? Proceedings of the AAAC International Conference on Affective Computing and Intelligent Interaction.
- McDuff, D. & Girard, J.M. (2019). Democratizing psychological insights from analysis of nonverbal behavior. Proceedings of the AAAC International Conference on Affective Computing and Intelligent Interaction.
- Girard, J.M. & Wright, A.G.C. (2018). DARMA: Software for dual axis rating and media annotation. Behavior Research Methods. 50(3), 902–909.
- Girard, J.M., Wright, A.G.C., Beeney, J.E., Scott, L.N., Lazarus, S.A., Stepp, S.D., & Pilkonis, P.A. (2017). Interpersonal problems across levels of the psychopathology hierarchy. Comprehensive Psychiatry. 79, 53–69.
- McDuff, D., Girard, J.M., & el Kaliouby, R. (2017). Large-scale observational evidence of cross-cultural differences in facial behavior. Journal of Nonverbal Behavior. 41(1), 1–19.
- Girard, J.M. & Cohn, J.F. (2016). A primer on observational measurement. Assessment. 23(4), 404–413.
- Girard, J.M., Cohn, J.F., Jeni, L.A., Sayette, M.A., & De la Torre, F. (2015). Spontaneous facial expression in unscripted social interactions can be measured automatically. Behavior Research Methods. 47(4), 1136–1147.
- Girard, J.M., Cohn, J.F., & De la Torre, F. (2015). Estimating smile intensity: A better way. Pattern Recognition Letters. 66, 13–21.
- Girard, J.M. & Cohn, J.F. (2015). Automated audiovisual depression analysis. Current Opinion in Psychology, 4, 75–79.
- Girard, J.M., Cohn, J.F., Mahoor, M.H., Mavadati, S.M., Hammal, Z., & Rosenwald, D.P. (2014). Nonverbal social withdrawal in depression: Evidence from manual and automatic analyses. Image and Vision Computing, 32(10), 641–647.