Become an Undergraduate Research Assistant
As a psychology major you have the advantageous opportunity to work with one of our faculty members as a Research Assistant.
Enrolling in PSYC 480 Independent Research (1-5 credits) will equip you with marketable skills to be highlighted on your resume or CV and provide invaluable research skills that you will carry into other courses. You will develop professional and personal connections with faculty members and classmates. With PSYC 480 you will be better prepared to apply for and participate in graduate school, as well as allowing for you to explore which areas of psychology truly inspire you!
PSYC 480 Independent Study (1-5 credits) - Prerequisite: PSYC 104 and Consent of Instructor
The course entails investigation of a special research problem or directed reading in an area not covered in regular courses. No more than 3 hours of PSYC 480 may be counted toward the 30 hours required for the major.
To participate in PSYC 480, you will need to approach the instructor you are interested in working with. Consider faculty members that you have had courses with that you really enjoyed, or visit our faculty page and seek out an instructor that specializes in a topic that you are interested in.
You may also visit our available Research Labs (see below for links) to find a variety of opportunities. Reach out! Most faculty are best reached by email or through their office hours, which are available in the Psychology Office, 864-4131.
Faculty Research Labs
- BRANCH Lab (Amber Watts)
- CARE Lab (Kelsie Forbush)
- Chrysikou Lab (Evangelia Chrysikou)
- Cognitive-Clinical Lab (Rick Ingram)
- Gillath Lab (Omri Gillath)
- Greenhoot Lab (Andrea Greenhoot)
- Hamilton Health Lab (Nancy Hamilton)
- Health Outcomes Research & Education Lab (Tamara Baker)
- Muehlenhard Research Group - Indep Study Info & Application Form for Spring 2017 (DOCX) (Charlene Muehlenhard)
- Ramey Cognition Lab (Christopher Ramey)
- Spoken Language Laboratory (Michael Vitevitch)
- Visual Information Processing Lab (Paul Atchley)
Participate in Research Studies
Experiments for credit: register here
For money (or equivalent) compensation:* Depo Study (PDF)
*Studies for pay cannot count for your PSYC 104 credit.